I constructed the top bodice out of the waistband panel and used some elastic smocking along the back to make it fit without having to add a closure. Next, I gathered the skirt fabric and re-attached it to the new bodice. Even though this was a mini skirt on me, I wanted to add some more length to the hem to give the dress some more weight and added contrast. I found a black stretch-knit fabric remnant which did the trick.
I love the final flower detail in which I used some additional skirt remnants, gathered and shaped to make a floral broche. The raw edges mirror the raw edge seam used to attach the bottom of the skirt panel. Inside the flower I added a black vintage button to add some sparkle and hide those inner seams.